Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Disney Full Marathon & Goofy Challenge Finish



It took a while (and a promise to my husband that I would walk), but I convinced him that I should do the full after how well the half went. The am deal was the same as the 1/2- up at 3:30, on the bus before 4 to go to Epcot for a 6am start. They had us leave the staging area earlier this time as the start line was further away. They divided the start into 2 groups with 2 start lines. As they counted down to the start they had fireworks and flame throwers. The two start groups went on different courses for the first couple of miles, then met in Epcot. This made it a bit less crowded than the 1/2 marathon start where I spent so much time dodging walkers. We ran through Epcot first, then headed to the Magic Kingdom. By the time we got to the Magic Kingdom it was getting light and warm. We then headed to the Animal Kingdom- the stretch between MK and AK was the really boring part, and it was long. It was really neat to run through the Animal Kingdom- you could see some of the animals and smell a few too. From the Animal Kingdom we headed to Hollywood Studios, then through a resort area, back into Epcot to the finish.
My plan was to run the first 13 and then see how I felt- I never got to the point where I thought I should stop. The last 2 miles started to get warm when the sun came out, but it was not too hard to push through those. I finished in 4:28, not a bad time at all. When I finished the race I was given my marathon medal, then taken to the Goofy tent and given the Goofy Medal.
The race was very well done- much more 'Disney' than the 1/2, we got to see all of the parks. There were 22 water stops, 2 banana stops, a Gu stop, and a candy stop. Lots of bathrooms along the way, and very supportive volunteers.
My biggest fear in running the Disney Marathon was running by myself. I run every morning with my girlfriends, whether I run 5 or 20 miles, I always have someone there to run with. I thought that not having that support would be my downfall, but having thousands of others around made a difference. My teammates wrote 'Baby on Board, Baby's 3rd race' on my shirt- and that started a lot of conversations. Any man on the course who had a wife pregnant with #1 ran with me and told me all about it. A few dads chatted with me for a while, and a few other people started conversations. It was such a fun race!

2 comments:

SeeMommyRunandBoxandCraft said...

Congrats on a great time. I can't believe you ran a half then a marathon the next day while pregnant. Great job! Now that you got that out of your system --- slow down and act like a pregnant chick! (smiling). You are so darn cute!

One Little Brownie said...

By the way...I LOVE that there's that guy behind you with his shaved head, lookin' all buff...and you're AHEAD of him!